[Cmake] Advanced variables disappear when set from command line?

Brad King brad . king at kitware . com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:28:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Albert Strasheim wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Amitha Perera wrote:
>
> > On Wed 26 Nov 2003, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> > > [fullung at asok cmake-1.8.1]$ bin/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_WX_DIALOG=ON
> >
> > That should read
> >   bin/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_WX_DIALOG:BOOL=ON
> >
> > CMake has a concept of variable "type", which is primarily used in the
> > CMakeSetup dialogs.
>
> Thanks, I'll try that. However, according to this page:
>
> http://www . cmake . org/HTML/News . html
>
> "CMake Release 1.8 available in Aug, 2003. ... Command line options (-D)
> for cmake no longer require the type of the argument. ..."
>
> What gives?

This feature is present, but does not work in all cases.  In particular,
it does not work to set the value of an OPTION command, which of course is
probably going to be the most common use for it.  I'll add it as a bug.
I was not aware we were advertising or documenting this broken feature.

-Brad