[Cmake] possible bug with dependencies and nmake generator

Marco Nolden m . nolden at dkfz-heidelberg . de
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:18:31 +0100

Hi,

I have encountered a strange bug and tracked it down to a small example:

CMakeLists.txt:
-----------------------------------
ADD_LIBRARY( testlib test.cpp )
-----------------------------------

test.cpp:
-----------------------------------
#include <utility>
static void foo() { }
-----------------------------------

Running cmake . -G"NMake Makefiles" is fine, but running Windows nmake
afterwards gives an error:

         nmake /nologo cmake.depends
Building dependencies. cmake.depends...
CMake Error: Cannot open G:/home/nolden/tmp/cmake-example/src/utility
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\PROGRA~1\CMake\bin\cmake.exe' : return
code '0xff
ffffff'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET\VC7\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Of course <utility> is not needed in the example, but the same
combination of "#include <utility>" and a subdirectory with the same
name exists in the popular boost library (www.boost.org).

The problem vanishes under certain circumstances which are unclear, but
it's the second time now the dashboard for our project fails for the
windows-nmake builds and we can't make it go away.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Marco

Dipl.-Inform. Med. Marco Nolden
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research Center)
Div. Medical & Biological Informatics          Tel: (+49) 6221-42 2325
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280                        Fax: (+49) 6221-42 2345
D-69120 Heidelberg                             eMail: M . Nolden at dkfz . de