[CMake-Promote] understanding the CMake build

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 17:07:33 EDT 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:
> As for the chicken errors, that is your
> department.  It really should be cmake ../source; make.

Indeed, I expressed shock at the purported MinGW / MSYS failures.
Granted I use Windows 2000, but this is my canonical development
platform.  I hope he is conflating VTK and Chicken problems.

> Although with
> chicken there is the problem of having to have chicken installed before
> you can build chicken.....

Not anymore!  A Chicken tarball distribution is now fully bootable
without Chicken, under both CMake and Autoconf.  We have a development
snapshot on the Chicken homepage, which only works on some platforms.
We've fixed most of the problems with that snapshot; it's about time for
another one.  We have a CMake script that builds a distribution by
typing "make dist" .  It actually runs the Autotools and includes
everything needed for that as well; it's a unified distribution.  It's
now the canonical method for building a Chicken distro.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every