[CMake-Promote] understanding the CMake build

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Sat Sep 9 16:54:09 EDT 2006

At 03:25 PM 9/9/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>Thomas Chust wrote:
>>
>>Not only is the CMake documentation scarce, it also frequently seems to be wrong and in the past four weeks I have not managed, even after modifications in the CMakeLists.txt files, to get two large CMake powered projects, namely CHICKEN and VTK, to build using CMake 2.4.3 on either
>>
>>   - MacOS X using gcc-3.3
>>   - MacOS X using gcc-4.0
>>   - Windows XP Professional using MinGW gcc-3.2 and MSYS
>>   - Windows XP Professional using MinGW gcc-3.2 without MSYS
>>   - Windows XP Professional using Open Watcom 1.5
Thomas should report the VTK build errors to the vtk mailing list.
The MacOS stuff is tested each night.   Open Watcom will not work
with VTK as far as I know.   As for the chicken errors, that is your
department.  It really should be cmake ../source; make.  Although with
chicken there is the problem of having to have chicken installed before
you can build chicken.....   I doubt that the errors would be helped by
volumes of cmake documentation.   But, having not seen them it is hard to say.

-Bill