[CMake-Promote] understanding the CMake build

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 15:25:16 EDT 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Von: "Brandon J. Van Every" <bvanevery at gmail.com>
>

>> CMake online documentation in general is poor.  The
>> mailing list is great, you can get all your questions rapidly answered
>> there, but documentation is definitely a serious shortcoming.
>>
>> [...]  Pretty much the same reason why the CMake online docs don't
>> improve; everyone's too busy with something more important.
>>

> I really don't understand why you claim so often that the online docs are so poor. Surely they can be improved. They were good enough for me.

I don't think you're in an objective position to evaluate the quality of
the docs.  For instance, take this comment from the Chicken mailing
list.  I need to follow up with Thomas about this.  Docs aside, the
claim that Chicken is not building disturbs me greatly.  I hope he's
really just having VTK problems.

Thomas Chust wrote:

> Not only is the CMake documentation scarce, it also frequently seems
> to be wrong and in the past four weeks I have not managed, even after
> modifications in the CMakeLists.txt files, to get two large CMake
> powered projects, namely CHICKEN and VTK, to build using CMake 2.4.3
> on either
>
>    - MacOS X using gcc-3.3
>    - MacOS X using gcc-4.0
>    - Windows XP Professional using MinGW gcc-3.2 and MSYS
>    - Windows XP Professional using MinGW gcc-3.2 without MSYS
>    - Windows XP Professional using Open Watcom 1.5

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every