[CMake-Promote] avoiding VS workspace commits in source control

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 01:40:56 EDT 2006

This is a good bullet point for selling CMake to even a VS-only user.
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1547266&forum_id=262426

[quote]

Since the build system is changing in 7.0, I want to put a strong plug
in for cmake. In just two hours, I had learned to use the system and
compiled gfxmeter on linux. It required the addition of only three build
files that totaled less than 60 lines of code (including 50 lines of
file names). I am working on creating a Windows version of the files now
in order to test the cross-platform claims.

This system was selected by KDE as their primary build system because it
works very well across multiple platforms. It works with Visual Studio
6, 7 & 8, MinGW, OSX and Linux. The best part about this system is that
it creates workspaces/project files for Visual Studio. This allows
developers to continue to use Visual Studio for development / building,
but workspace files need no longer be committed to the CVS -- avoiding
the problem of committing the wrong or incompatible Visual Studio files
to the CVS. Since cmake supports most common versions of Visual Studio,
we do not need worry about which platform developers are using. The
developer need only specify the platform at cmake's command line and the
appropriate workspace files will be available to them. This has the
advantage of using only a single set of build files for each platform on
which G3D is built. Platform leaders will no longer need to individually
add new files.
I hope we can consider this excellent system (www.cmake.org) for the 7.0
release. I should have a Windows set of build files available tomorrow
if anyone is interested in trying them out.

[/quote]