[CMake-Promote] OpenSceneGraph

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 23:52:56 EST 2005

On 12/21/05, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> >
> > I guess we do need to promote cmake:
> >

> > > The sum total of my feelings on this is expressed in Robert's
> > > statement:

> > > -don
> >

> > http://openscenegraph.net/pipermail/osg-users/2003-November/036636.html
>

> I will get on their mailing list and see if I can inspire confidence.

Or maybe not.  I didn't realize that this is a cold trail from 2003, not a
recent conversation.  Elsewhere in their archive I found a statement from
Don about such things:

http://openscenegraph.net/pipermail/osg-users/2004-September/045364.html
Don wrote:
[quote]
There are a great deal of projects that the community would love to
volunteer my time for, among these learning Cmake, Subversion, SCons, MacOSX
Carbon, etc., etc.  because these are all SOOO COOL!
Unfortunately, there just isn't enough time for me to become as proficient
in all these disciplines as the people proposing them.  What I'd much
prefer is to provide guidelines and requirements and have those folks that
believe all these things are SO COOL and who are much more proficient in
them than I am to provide solutions for Producer/OSG based on the
requirements.
[/quote]

This means, the main project guy is not "vulnerable" the way, say Chicken
Scheme's author Felix Winkelmann was.  Felix was somewhat looking to scratch
an itch himself; Don is looking for someone else to do it.  Will an
"underling" deliver on such things, who knows; Don seems to think they won't
/ they don't.  I'm not interested in becoming an OpenSceneGraph underling; I
have my own competing 3D engines to write in Chicken Scheme.  So the trick
here is to identify people who have got the energy to do real work.  'Cuz,
let's face it, we don't wanna do it ourselves for every Tom, Dick, and Harry
project out there.

I can and will inquire.  However, I can anticipate the outcome.  Negative
results may be a good lab for what issues we need to address, though.

Meanwhile, if people can find leads on *current* conversations about CMake,
that is much more useful.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every