[CMake-Promote] Tracking the logo

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 15:51:58 EST 2005

I inadvertantly devised a method for determining CMake's popularity.
Google for "CMakeBanner."  Unfortunately this yields a very small number
of hits, like 5.  "CMake logo" yields a lot more hits, although I don't
know how many of those actually yield CMake logos rather than any old
logo.  I find that the CMake-logo-high-res.* files are listed almost
nowhere, presumably because they're high-res.

CMake needs a proper banner logo, readily available for download, and
prominently placed so that anyone downloading CMake will notice that
they can get a banner if they like.  As it stands, the high-res versions
are the last entry on the CMake downloads and I doubt most people will
ever scroll down that far.  An example of a better approach can be found
at http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage .  The promotion
stuff is put in the right-hand sidebar, with examples of standard sized
buttons available.

The logo quality also needs to be improved.  There is noticable
"ringing" in the logo of the cmake.org homepage; at present, high-res is
clearly not high-quality.

If we pick a simple name for the CMake logo file, like CMakeLogo.gif or
whatnot, then as people adopt and display those logos, we can search 'em
via Google.  For this to work, it's important to pick logo filenames
that are consistent with common banner logo conventions, and are also
simple in their own right.  Looking at
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage I'm a little
confused as to how many standard conventions there are.  I believe I've
read that 80x15 is a common size, but clearly there's a graphic design
learning curve to go up here.  Firefox is waving way, way too many
buttons under people's noses for our purposes.  I will attempt to decode
the general canon of logo button web design, such as it may be, and will
report back.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.