[CMake-Promote] Usage Statistics

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at msu.edu
Fri Dec 16 15:01:05 EST 2005

While reading about the google searches for finding CMake
users/blogs/etc, I just started thinking that it might be a good idea to
quantify the results of this effort. What I mean is that statistics
should be gathered on how usage of CMake increases, which communities
are using it, and why?

I know this is easier said than done. I suppose that things like
downloads per time interval can probably be easily obtained, but other
things might be harder. Of course, having a registration process for
download and/or use would give useful feedback, but then CMake would
become the enemy ;) At least, I would probably not have downloaded and
used CMake if that was a requirement.

However, maybe an optional and simple query for *non-personal*
information before the download like:

-How did you hear about us?
-How are you planning to use CMake?
-...

Well, this is more of a brainstorming than a proposal, since I don't
feel entirely comfortable with even this type of query and I think most
Techies wouldn't like it. It kind of gives the look of a
"marketing/commercial" effort...

But anyway, I guess the question is what information do we have or can
we get in a passive way that gives us an indication of where CMake is
used, and where it isn't but should be used?

--Miguel