[CMake-Promote] Interesting blogs and random comments about CMake

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:20:46 EST 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>>On the other hand, CMake won't be easier to learn than SCons if the
>>documentation and tutorials don't improve.
>>

>Actually IMO the cmake documentation is good. At least much better than
>the autohell docs. And better than the scons docs two years ago, don't
>know about scons docs today.
>I could find everything I need on the cmake man page and the short cmake
>introduction on the cmake web page. What was missing was an overview over
>the cmake variables, this exists now in the wiki.

Those of us on Windows don't automatically have man page readers set
up.  I have MinGW / MSYS and even that doesn't have a man page reader by
default, you have to do additional work for it and it keeps slipping my
mind.  In any event it is not good policy to have the variable names
separated from the rest of the docs, but I think Bill just said there's
something in CVS now that will address this?  Also, the variable name
listings on the wiki are incomplete; for instance, CYGWIN, MINGW, and
PREFIX are not documented.  I learned those by inference from examples
and poring over the archives, both of which involve a lot of hunt and
peck that normal people won't do.

On Windows, it would be a good idea to provide "Start... Programs" menu
shortcuts to the documentation, as this is a standard way that Windows
users go about looking for such things.  Debatably, one could have a
"Documentation" button within CMakeSetup.  That's what the "Help" button
does in all other Windows apps, but CMakeSetup is using a simple dialog
box approach.  I think the message that "Help" currently displays is
helpful, so I'm not suggesting it be messed with.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.