[cmake-developers] C++ IDE

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc csiga.biga at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 03:03:18 EDT 2017

I do not find it to be a joke, rather than being one of the best out there (if not THE best).

I tried CLion just 2 weeks ago. It was a nice experience when it came to CMake, but it’s C++ IntelliSense capabilities seem to be lacking. (Truth be told, I did try with the experimental MSVC support, so I do plan to revisit CLion once that is baked.) The thing I did not like about CLion is that it tries to cater the click-click way of getting a build ready, but does not go all the way (nor even half the way).

I tried getting a build ready of one „src/Main.cpp” and a „inc/Header.hpp” (I believe this is the most common source file organization), but I failed to add the „target_include_directories” statement through the UI. So, if CLion caters those who wish to add source files through the UI, which even prompts for a CMake variable to add the source file to, and even follows along the lines of changing the CMake script when one relocates files through the UI… then why can’t I set something as simple as an include directory through the UI???

I believe the problem CLion got caught in is that it is very hard (if not impossible) to wrap a UI around a stateful, imperative language with also letting the user edit the CMakeLists.txt file. VS had a much easier job with MSBuild (an XML-based build system), but with CMake, it’s much harder. This was one of the reasons I suggested roughly a year ago to create an IR for CMake (to decouple generators from the front-end, and also facilitate IDE interop).

So all in all, I considered VS to be a nicer, more consistent overall experience than the one in CLion. I have not tried Qt Creator yet (I know it was among the first to adopt cmake-server), but will do soon, as I will also revisit CLion once they call the MSVC experience baked.

ps.: I found it strange that CLion still seems to rely on Codeblock NMake Makefiles for both executing a build AND also hooking the IntelliSense experience into the IDE. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought CLion will be the first to adopt cmake-server.
ps2.: Big brother VS is already at executing builds with Ninja by default.
ps3.: once this (link) issue is fixed in relation to the cmake-tools extension, I’ll consider VS Code for serious work. It has other nice benefits that big brother VS does not.