[cmake-developers] Volunteering to maintain a new module: FindGSL.cmake

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 4 14:41:53 EST 2014

On 12/04/2014 02:29 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:

>> These are defined mostly as a courtesy for folks who don't use imported
>> targets yet.
>
> Yes. They are useful at least when a FindXXX does not provide IMPORTED
> targets.

I think we should keep them for now, even in new modules.

> There is a mind-set change needed to avoid lines like that. CMake does not
> have to be noisy anymore :). I don't see a hard need for new modules which
> provide IMPORTED targets need to provide such variables.

IMO we're not ready to make that call yet.  Only when there is a dedicated
and sweeping effort to make imported targets the norm for most of the
find modules that come with CMake should we stop adding the variables to
new modules.

We're still learning the process of providing imported targets from
find modules.  As evidenced by the recent trouble with FindOpenGL:

 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15267

they cannot be the norm yet.