[cmake-developers] Major.Minor version install directories

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 03:18:22 EDT 2013

Brad King wrote:

> On 10/24/2013 12:56 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>>   l -1 /home/stephen/dev/prefix/qtbase/kde/doc/
>>   cmake-2.8/
>>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g07324-dirty/
>>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g10e02-dirty/
>>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g1bfc2/
>>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g3dec3/
>
> The granular version-specific locations ensure we don't
> get modules left over from a different version.  This has
> caused problems in the past that are very hard to track
> down remotely.

If dealing with a user perhaps. Developers shouldn't have that problem.

> This shouldn't be much of a problem for
> anyone except developers.

Then how about a compromise of major.minor.patch ?

> IMO one shouldn't be overwriting an existing install tree
> with a new CMake without removing the original anyway, but
> this approach gives us protection from it.  Managing
> replace-able installations is the job of a package manager.
> If you're doing it by hand IMO you're on you're own.
>
> FYI, I keep my test install tree below my build directory
> and wipe it out before the next install:
>
>  rm -rf $whatever_you_call_the_prefix
>  make install

That doesn't work for me because my qtbase prefix is where I install qtbase
dev branch and other Qt repos (also dev branch), cmake (master, a topic or
whatever version I need to test the Qt cmake files with), some KDE stuff and
some KDAB stuff.

I have another prefix for qtbase stable branch testing/work, another for Qt
4.8 etc.

Clearing one of those prefixes completely just to remove micro-versioned
cmake installations is not practical, and I don't want to add another
dimension to my prefix system just for cmake installations.

Thanks,

Steve.