[cmake-developers] Major.Minor version install directories

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 24 15:00:08 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 12:56 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>   l -1 /home/stephen/dev/prefix/qtbase/kde/doc/
>   cmake-2.8/
>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g07324-dirty/
>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g10e02-dirty/
>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g1bfc2/
>   cmake-2.8.12.20131023-g3dec3/

The granular version-specific locations ensure we don't
get modules left over from a different version.  This has
caused problems in the past that are very hard to track
down remotely.  This shouldn't be much of a problem for
anyone except developers.

IMO one shouldn't be overwriting an existing install tree
with a new CMake without removing the original anyway, but
this approach gives us protection from it.  Managing
replace-able installations is the job of a package manager.
If you're doing it by hand IMO you're on you're own.

FYI, I keep my test install tree below my build directory
and wipe it out before the next install:

 rm -rf $whatever_you_call_the_prefix
 make install