[CDash] Branch Coverage with GCov

Cristian Morales Vega christian.morales.vega at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:24:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 19:08, Zack Galbreath <zack.galbreath at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM Cristian Morales Vega <christian.morales.vega at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering why the script uses ctest_coverage_collect_gcov() instead of ctest_coverage()
>

> When we implemented branch coverage in CDash, we made the design decision to let CDash handle the parsing. Previously coverage data was parsed by CTest (generating Coverage.xml and CoverageLog.xml) and then uploaded to CDash. With this new approach we now upload the .gcov files directly to CDash and parse them server-side instead.
>
> As to why this isn't working for you, I'm not sure. Do you see the uploaded gcov.tar file in your backup/ directory on the CDash server?

Knowing it's only supposed to work with ctest_coverage_collect_gcov()
I will look further tomorrow. Thanks.

But does this mean ctest_coverage() is deprecated and
ctest_coverage_collect_gcov() is a strict superset? While reading the
docs I got the impression ctest_coverage() is *the* way, with
ctest_coverage_collect_gcov() something you notice while reading about
something else, not too clear why it does exist.