[vtkusers] SSAA and FXAA

Allie Vacanti allison.vacanti at kitware.com
Fri Mar 8 09:32:33 EST 2019

Ah, ok, so FXAA *is* working then, and not broken.

FXAA (Fast approXimate Anti-Aliasing) is an approximate anti-aliasing
technique that is applied as a post-processing step. Since it is
approximate and operates in screen space, there are some scenes that it
works well on, and others that it doesn't. It sounds like you've found one
that it doesn't handle -- those thin, clustered lines just look like random
noise and not edges to a screen-space algorithm, so it doesn't know what to
do with them.

If you want higher quality anti-aliasing, you'll want MSAA
(vtkRenderer::SetMultiSamples) or SSAA. MSAA is generally preferred and
better tested.