[vtkusers] Use of Tessellation Shader in VTK

Tharun tharun160190 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 06:32:24 EDT 2019

I have a triangular mesh(polygons as cells in vtkPolyData). Each point has
different color field data. On using Point Color data as scalars, triangles
have graded color. But, what I want is like in the image below

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t341373/test.png> .

I know that subdividing the triangular mesh into triangles having  same
color data vertices can give result like this by using Cell data as scalars.

Now, our workflow is similar to  example
<https://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Examples/VisualizationAlgorithms/Cxx/FilledContours.cxx>
and I have the desired output. Meshes we deal with have 10s of millions of
triangles and the process is quite slow.

I recenlty read about Tessellation Shaders at  here
<http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/www/tutorial30/tutorial30.html>  , and they
mentioned about "Primitive Generator" part of Tessellation where we can just
mention the tessellation levels of each triangle by gl_TessLevelOuter and
gl_TessLevelInner. I believe, specifying gl_TessLevelOuter for every
triangle of original mesh based on Vertices Color Data for each edge of
triangles solves my problem with performance.

Can anybody please let me know how to do this in VTK?