[vtkusers] Profiling VTK/Performance improvements (with Python)

Fcs ftpronk at engits.com
Tue Jan 22 12:19:27 EST 2019

Some filters can be quite slow indeed.

I played around a bit to compare the performance of a vtkClipDataSet and a
vtkTableBasedClipDataSet to extract an isosurface on an unstructured grid,
and this is what I get:

Total number of cells : 41.16 million.

Using vtkClipDataSet:
 -> Clip Time : 83.096 [s]

Using vtkTableBasedClipDataSet:
 -> Clip Time : 6.173 [s]

Is that a filter you could consider?  They also have some new, fast,
isosurface generators which should parallelize nicely:
https://vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkFlyingEdges3D.html#details

I haven't worked with them myself, but the claim is that they offer a
significant speed-up.

I would definitely be interested in hearing if you found a suitable
solution,

Kind regards,
Francois.