[vtkusers] QVtkWidget / vtkPointPicker wrong coordinates

kervel frank at kapernikov.com
Wed Oct 17 05:05:35 EDT 2018

Hello,

i'm having trouble using the point picking (but also the "fly to point" from
PCL) when using the PCLVisualizer with QT5. It seems that the vtkPointPicker
does not compute the right x/y/z coordinates.

The problem shows when building eg this git repo:
https://github.com/lesterlo/cloud_annotation_tool and trying to use the fly
to point functionality (by clicking on the vtk widget and hitting the "f"
key). The fly to point jumps to the wrong point.
When instantiating and using a vtkPointPicker myself, i also get the wrong
x/y/z coords (of a point that was not under the mouse cursor)

Funny thing is that it works when using the pclvisualizer stand-alone (eg
not in QT), it seems to work fine.

I found some old questions (without answers) on the mailing list about
vtkPointPicker giving wrong coordinates. In one instance.
I'm using ubuntu bionic which bundles a rather old vtk version.

I don't really know where to start for debugging this problem. Could anybody
give me a hint ?

Frank