[vtkusers] A bug in Above/BelowRangeColor mapping?

marcin.krotkiewski marcin.krotkiewski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 03:38:13 EDT 2018

Hi,

I think the behavior of UseBelowRangeColor in both VTK 8.1.1, and
Parview 5.5 is wrong. As an example, I load a surface into Paraview,
rescale the color range to point data (elevation in this case, fig.
paraview.png), and enable the 'Use Below Range Color' checkbox. What you
see is that part of the surface are colored with black (fig.
paraview_wrong.png), although they are in fact within the automatically
computed value range. So they should get the usual color from the lookup
table.

I also observe wrong behavior when I color the surface by a constant
value. In VTK, I set lower/upper bound on data values in vtkLookupTable
to be the same. Say, my point data has value 50. I set the lookup table
range to [60,60] and turn on Above/Below range color. Figure
constant_wrong.png shows that my surface is colored with the in-range
color, although it is below range. To get a correct coloring I need to
spread the range a little bit, e.g., [60,61] (constant_below.png), or
[40, 41] (constant_above.png). But even in this case we go back to the
first problem: for point values that are on the edge of the range VTK
uses out-of-range color (range [50,51], constant_extreme.png).

So the question is - is this behavior intended, and if so - how should I
organize my color mapping and data ranges to get the expected behavior?

Regards,

Marcin Krotkiewski