[vtkusers] Alternative to vtkDelaunay2D for surface reconstruction or how to get rid of "Edge not recovered, polygon fill suspect"

Berti Krüger berti_krueger at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 00:35:37 EDT 2018

Hello everyone.

In my project i have a standard 3D triangle mesh surface where i select all vertices which lie inside a region (polygon) which is defined by a closed polyline created by an user interaction using the vtkContourWidget:

[cid:inline_01 at geary]

I then create a polygon mesh which has the shape of the vtkContourWidget polygon selection contour line plus the selected part of the underlying mesh and which lies like a sticker or texture on the the given stl mesh surface:

[cid:inline_00 at geary]

For the reconstruction of the surface i use the vtkDelaunay2D filter using all the points of the vtkContourWidget polygon and the mesh surface points as inputs.

This works absolutely great but depending on the used mesh i sometimes get the following error message from the vtkDelaunay2D filter:

"vtkDelaunay2D (0x556183dcfba0): Edge not recovered, polygon fill suspect"

Does anybody know why this happens and what i can do to get rid of this error?

While nice, but since i don't necessarily need the delaunay properties, is there an alternative to the vtkDelaunay2D filter to get a polygon surface mesh given a bunch of points as an input? (points -> surface)

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Berti