[vtkusers] Third party libraries as binary

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Nov 5 13:12:21 EST 2018

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 13:01:12 -0330, Matthew Troke wrote:
> I've noticed that 3rd party libraries in VTK are included with their source
> code and built along with VTK. Can a 3rd party library be include in VTK
> that is precompiled (either with .lib or dll) and linked with the project?

Assuming that you're not trying to compile against a copy that you have
of something VTK also contains (which Dan's answer applies to) and
instead asking to include a new third-party library, the answer is "no".
VTK compiles on many platforms and having to recompile these artifacts
for each platform/compiler/flag combination is too burdensome. It's just
easier to have them built along with VTK's build system.

--Ben