[vtkusers] Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Thu May 31 11:19:56 EDT 2018

Hi Donny,

Jon beat me to a response. :)
But yes, we could possibly check-in the module.remote.cmake script to the
VTK repository for vtkGeoVis remote module. Although, I am not sure how
useful it would be given that we know of only one user. The remote module
infrastructure allows you to drop your own custom module.remote.cmake
scripts to your local checkout of VTK source tree. Just by virtue of having
this cmake file in the <VTK src>/Remote directory would add a flag for the
module to the VTK configuration step. You can read all about it on the wiki
page: https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Remote_Modules

Having said that, this is still a ways from now. The next major version
(VTK 9) would just deprecate the classes. They would be removed from VTK in
the version that follows - 9.1?. Once they’re removed, you’ll need the
remote module for using them.

Hope that helps.
Sankhesh
​