[vtkusers] PyPi Wheels for VTK 8.1.0

B.J. Hulsey bjhulsey at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:21:04 EDT 2018

Hello, world.

I've been struggling to install VTK on CentOS 7.2 for several days. I've
followed several recommendations on the web, including this one point to
from the VTK FAQ:
https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/ParaView_And_Mesa_3D. In most cases
I end up with the following OpenGL2 error no matter which version of Mesa
is installed:

ERROR: In
/work/standalone-x64-build/VTK-source/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 797
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x18f1c10): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4
extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for the
new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If you are
using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and make sure
your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

In any case, I found the PyPi wheels for 8.1.0 and simply installed with
pip. I am still getting the OpenGL2 error when using Python 3.5, but the
code runs under Python 2.7 (system version).

glxinfo reports:
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.6.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Any pointers? According to
https://prabhuramachandran.blogspot.com/2018/01/vtk-810-wheels-for-all-platforms-on-pypi.html
this should work for Python 3.5.x.

Thanks.