[vtkusers] Questions About Python Wrapping

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:51:12 EDT 2018

Probably because the wrappers are still tuned to only recognize parameters
with class names that begin with "vtk" as valid.

 - David

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Kyle Sunderland <1krs1 at queensu.ca> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Yes, many of the functions in OpenIGTLinkIO return smart pointers, and
are not wrapped.

> Two of the testing functions take/return raw igtlioConnector pointers
(igtlioConnector being a vtkObject), so I'm confused as to why they aren't
wrapped.

> igtlioConnector* TestReturnWrap();
> void TestArgumentWrap(igtlioConnector* a);
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Kyle
>
> ________________________________

methods are actually smart pointers, and as you have already noted, smart
pointers aren't wrapped.

> This has never been an issue in VTK proper or for most VTK projects,
since VTK methods generally use raw pointers.  The header file you sent is
closer to ITK style than to VTK style.

> I definitely think that it would be worthwhile to add better smart
pointer handling to the wrappers.

>  - David
>

> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Kyle Sunderland <1krs1 at queensu.ca>
wrote:
> > It (mostly) works, however I noticed that no functions are wrapped
which have a definition that contains any of the wrapped classes. Does
anyone have insight into what I might have missed?

> Is a vtk..Hierarchy.txt file generated for the wrapped module when you
build it?  If so, send it to me along with the header files you're
wrapping, and I can take a look.

> > Also, as an additional question, is it still not possible to wrap
functions that return a smart pointer?