[vtkusers] QVTKOpenGLWidget and QWidgets

Paul Douglas Hahn pdhahn at compintensehpc.com
Sat May 5 10:32:59 EDT 2018

Sounds like a problem with event processing based on widget focus. Sorry
for this generality which is probably not too helpful. But speaking just
a tad bit sarcastically, I think eventually the answer you **might** get
on this forum from a knowledgeable VTK person (that's not me, sorry)
will be "look at ParaView to see how things are done with Qt there". So
you might try that IMHO.  :-)

As for me, I am researching alternatives to Qt with VTK. I will be
trying IMGUI because it is "immediate mode" and hopefully will avoid
issues like this. The downside is that IMGUI widgets stink in terms of
appearance. Over all, Qt is by far the most polished and mature UI
toolkit out there in my experience (speaking as a self-rated Qt expert,
at least Qt4). But speaking a tad bit sarcastically again, I think using
VTK with any UI toolkit seems to have its fair share of challenges and
mysteries. I have posed a number of questions about alternatives to Qt
in this forum and have had no useful response.

On 05/04/2018 04:01 PM, Sam Raby wrote:
> Let me rephrase the issue that I am observing. I run the following vtk
> example that uses QVTKOpenGLWidget in Qt Creator. I can successfully
> run the example. Then I added one simple QCheckBox to UI. I can
> compile the code but the checkbox does not respond to mouse clicking,
> meaning that If I click on the checkbox it does not get checked, but
> if I interact with the QVTKOpenGLWidget it causes the checkbox to be
> updated. Is that a bug? because what I am doing seems pretty basic.
>
> https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/SideBySideRenderWindowsQt
> <https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/SideBySideRenderWindowsQt>
>
> Thanks
>

> On Friday, May 4, 2018, Sam Raby <rabysam28 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rabysam28 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I am running the following example of using QVTKOpenGLWidget to
>     display a sphere.
>
>     https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/SideBySideRenderWindowsQt
>     <https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/SideBySideRenderWindowsQt>
>
>     It works fine. Then I added one QT Checkbox. but the checkbox is
>     not checkable. After debugging I realized that when I remove the
>     following line of code, the checkbox starts working but
>     QVTKOpenGLWidgetdoes not display the sphere anymore. Is that
>     something that I am missing here. QSlicer and other qwidgets also
>     do not work if I keep the following like of code:
>
>     QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat(QVTKOpenGLWidget::defaultFormat());
>
>     Thanks

Paul D. Hahn
CompIntense HPC, LLC