[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Request for Feedback: VTK Textbook Strawman

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:07:57 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Andras Lasso <lasso at queensu.ca> wrote:
> Despite all its limitations, Markdown is becoming one of the most widely
> used standard in technical writing. You can get books authored in Markdown
> published as hardcopy, see for example
> http://docs.atlas.oreilly.com/writing_in_markdown.html.
>

> If we can live without sophisticated typesetting then we could save a lot of
> time and be “compatible” with many more potential authors and online
> publishing services by using Markdown instead of Latex.

You probably saw the warning on the O'Reilly Markdown page:

"""
Markdown is best for simple content. It does not support many standard
technical book elements, including parts, admonitions, sidebars, and
cross references.
"""

Some of that might be called "typsetting" but maybe not parts or
cross-references.

Matthew