[vtkusers] Issues with vtkImageReslice orientation

Eric Petersen peer9802 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:36:17 EST 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to create an app where I can recreate trans-esophageal echo
views using a CT scan.  My current prototype has two render windows where
the "left" window displays a segmented STL of the CT data, the esophagus
path, and the TEE imaging plane.  The right window then displays the
double-oblique view of the simulated TEE plane.

Everything is working fine in the "left" window--I can modify the plane
orientation/origin and easily see what I want to image.  The issue I'm
having is converting this to the vtkImageReslice object.  My first approach
was to simply take the 4x4 transform matrix "left" window (which is vtk
poly data) and set this as the vtkImageReslice reslice matrix.  I quickly
realized this doesn't work because the reslice plane origins are
different.  I've tried some different offsets/origins for the 4x4 reslice
matrix and I can get the slices correct under some conditions but not
double-oblique views.

So, I have poly data (of a heart in this case) and a plane with known
origin and rotation matrix (global x,y,z coordinates known).  What do I
need to know in order to obtain an image of this plane using
vtkImageReslice?  Do I need to approach how I'm creating the reslice matrix
differently (I'm currently doing all rotations using (0,0,0) origin then
translating to desired point)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.