[vtkusers] object orientation detection

Majid M. Sadeghi majid.msadeghi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 10:20:45 EST 2018

Dear All,
I have a 3D object which is located in an arbitrary positionand orientation in the space. My goal is to roughly find the orientation of theobject.

To achieve that, I think I need a descriptor of the object todefine it. For that descriptor I am thinking maybe a skeleton of the object willwork, since my object’s shape is a specific shape with certain twists andcorners.
After having the descriptor I need to be able to find theorientation of the descriptor. And for this I am thinking I might be able touse certain relationships of points located on the skeleton, with each other orwith the origin of the space.
So my questions are:
1. Is there a better method to do this? (Finding theorientation of an object)
2. Is there a method in VTK/ITK to extract the skeleton ofan object?
3. Is there any other descriptor available in VTK/ITK whichmight be helpful? Thanks.