[vtkusers] Selecting GPU card to run VTK based software

Cristóbal Ganter cganterh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:41:00 EDT 2018

Hello,

I need to select a graphics card that will be used to run VTK based
software. From what I understand this is not an easy task since the
performance of a GPU will depend on the specific application, drivers and
other parameters of the machine. I have also read that different GPU brands
can't be really compared and that rather than focusing on specific features
of GPUs one should compare them in terms of specific benchmarks.

While there is a benchmark for VTK (a sphere) I am not really sure if the
benchmark and the results are up to date. I also don't think that benchmark
would correctly approximate the characteristics of the application we want
to run.

Despite all, I was thinking there may be one or two parameters of GPUs that
may correlate with an improvement of the rendering speed in VTK
applications. I hope you may have this information or maybe some guidelines
on how to proceed when selecting graphic cards.

Best regards,
Cristóbal