[vtkusers] Weird Problem with OpenVR SDK

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Jun 25 09:47:21 EDT 2018

Have you set

# This option determines if the VR rendering code will become
# the default renderer
option(VTK_OPENVR_OBJECT_FACTORY
  "Make openVR the default render window for VTK" ON)

to off? Otherwise the factory mechanism will always try to create the
openvr classes.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM vtk user <vtk_user at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello VTK users,
>
> I am having a weird problem with using VTK with OpenVR. I built VTK 8.1
> against OpenVR and the Plugin itself is working fine. I visualize my Data
> with the OpenVR headers included and the according renderclasses
> (vtkOpenVRRenderer, ...) used instead of the standart render classes
> (vtkRenderer, ...). When I did that (withoud HMD attached), OpenVR
> complained that the Headset is not attached and SteamVR claims that that
> the HMD is not ready, which makes sense. But as I deleted the includes
> again and took the normal rendering classes, the complains still go on
> (complains at line: renderWindow->render()). I deleted and rebuilt the
> whole project via cmake, but its the same thing. This now happens to any
> VTK program I write (I wrote a completely seperate program, visualizing a
> sphere source from the examples with the normal VTK renderer, and its just
> not rendering on the laptop screen, but complains that there is not HMD
> attached). It seems like VTK is forcing to render with the OpenVR SDK, even
> if no OpenVR library is included. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks alot!

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.