[vtkusers] Rasterized output with vtkGL2PSExporter

Roman Hiestand roman.hiestand at fluxim.com
Fri Jun 15 05:02:43 EDT 2018

Dan,

Thank you for the information! I assume there is no mapper from vtkPolyData
to vtkContext2D? At least I didn't find one.
Migrating our code to vtkContext2D would be too tedious, so for now we
stick to the current solution. If we need a better SVG/PDF output, we will
use either Qt or a specialized library like cairo.

Regards
Roman

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Dan Lipsa <dan.lipsa at kitware.com> wrote:

> Roman,
> For the new OpenGL2 backend only 2D polygon data drawn within a
> vtkContext2D can be exported as vector data in a PDF or SVG. This is
> because GL2PS uses a feature removed from recent OpenGL versions
> (glFeedbackBuffer). So, if exporting vector data is important to your
> application you'll have to port it to draw everything inside a vtkContext2D
> class. We are currently doing this port for the cdat.
>

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM Roman Hiestand <roman.hiestand at fluxim.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Since upgrading to VTK 8.1.1 and using the OpenGL2 backend I have noticed
>> that when exporting to vector graphics formats such as PDF and SVG using
>> vtkGL2PSExporter a large part of the scene is rasterized.
>> I have a 2D scene with a vtkPolyDataMapper and some axis
>> (vtkCubeAxesActor2D), the camera is set to parallel projection.
>> When I try to export the scene to PDF or SVG using vtkGL2PSExporter the
>> vtkPolyData is rasterized, while the axis (including labels etc) is
>> exported in vector graphics.
>>
>> I tried fiddling around with the parameters of vtkGL2PSExporter, but I
>> wasn't able to achieve all-vector-graphics like with VTK 8.0 and (old)
>> OpenGL backend.
>>
>> Has anyone a clue how to create a non-rasterized output? When debugging
>> the code, I saw that vtkGL2PSExporter rasterizes the background, but why is
>> the vtkPolyDataMapper considered to be background?
>>
>> I also tried exporting the same vtkPolyData with ParaView (5.5.1 64bit
>> Windows) to PDF or SVG, and I have the same effect there, the polydata is
>> rasterized.
>>
>> Regards
>> Roman

>> Powered by www.kitware.com