[vtkusers] Rasterized output with vtkGL2PSExporter

Roman Hiestand roman.hiestand at fluxim.com
Thu Jun 14 11:16:12 EDT 2018

Hello

Since upgrading to VTK 8.1.1 and using the OpenGL2 backend I have noticed
that when exporting to vector graphics formats such as PDF and SVG using
vtkGL2PSExporter a large part of the scene is rasterized.
I have a 2D scene with a vtkPolyDataMapper and some axis
(vtkCubeAxesActor2D), the camera is set to parallel projection.
When I try to export the scene to PDF or SVG using vtkGL2PSExporter the
vtkPolyData is rasterized, while the axis (including labels etc) is
exported in vector graphics.

I tried fiddling around with the parameters of vtkGL2PSExporter, but I
wasn't able to achieve all-vector-graphics like with VTK 8.0 and (old)
OpenGL backend.

Has anyone a clue how to create a non-rasterized output? When debugging the
code, I saw that vtkGL2PSExporter rasterizes the background, but why is the
vtkPolyDataMapper considered to be background?

I also tried exporting the same vtkPolyData with ParaView (5.5.1 64bit
Windows) to PDF or SVG, and I have the same effect there, the polydata is
rasterized.

Regards
Roman