[vtkusers] Activiz Error, vtkImageViewer2 example, "Attempted to read or write protected memory"

David Groppe david.m.groppe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:10:23 EDT 2018

Hi all,
   I'm trying to run the Activiz PNG reader example:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/CSharp/IO/PNGReader/

I changed filepath to be a png file on my machine:
string filePath = @"C:\Users\dgrop\Downloads\cthead1.png";

And the file can be opened fine. However, the following line:
    imageViewer.SetRenderer(renderer);

throws the following error:

System.AccessViolationException
  HResult=0x80004003
  Message=Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an
indication that other memory is corrupt.
  Source=<Cannot evaluate the exception source>
  StackTrace:
<Cannot evaluate the exception stack trace>

I've tried moving the variable declarations to the Public Partial Class
level as suggested here:

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/ActiViz-WindowColor-Memory-Corrupt-td5725980.html

but that did not change anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this?