[vtkusers] Pip install vtk for Python 3.x

B.J. Hulsey bjhulsey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:18:01 EDT 2018

<REDO>

Thank you. I am using sudo which only had access to the Python 2. However,
I am gettting a GL dirver error with when I run vtk under Python 3.

Can you recommend current compatible LLVM and MESA versions for OpenGL2
backend?

Running a simple example
<https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Python/GeometricObjects/CylinderExample/>,
I get:

Local terminal
ERROR: In /work/standalone-x64-build/VTK-source/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx,
line 446
vtkShaderProgram (0x169d500): 0:31(12): error: extension
`GL_EXT_gpu_shader4' unsupported in fragment shader

Remote PuTTY terminal
ERROR: In /work/standalone-x64-build/VTK-source/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 797
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x2029d00): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4
extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for the
new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If you are
using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and make sure
your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

user at server: glxinfo | grep "string\|version"
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.6.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 10.6.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16

Regards.