[vtkusers] Trouble using VTK Widget with QVTK

andyjk andrewkeeling at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:09:35 EDT 2018

Thanks again

We're getting to the edge of my knowledge, I'm afraid!

I can do
   vtkNew<vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow> renderWindow;
   ui->widget->SetRenderWindow(vtkRenderWindow::SafeDownCast(renderWindow));

and this runs (displays sphere, allows me to move it, but no contour widget
still). It seems to be no different from:
   vtkNew<vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow> renderWindow;
   ui->widget->SetRenderWindow(renderWindow);

If I try to grab the existing widget window (I think this is casting???):
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow> renderWindow =

vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow::SafeDownCast(ui->widget->GetRenderWindow());

it compiles but I don't even see a renderwindow when I run the code, the
executable just closes gracefully.

I am not sure about breakpoints, I'm afraid.