[vtkusers] VTK with python wrapping

normanius juch at zhaw.ch
Thu Jan 11 17:17:07 EST 2018

Dear allI build VTK 8.1.0 from source with python support enabled. Everything
works fine as long as I build and install either for python 2.7 or python
3.5 separately. Here is the build instructions I use for building VTK on
Mac: If I use different installation targets  and , I can import vtk at the
following locations without any problems:However if I set
VTK_INSTALL_DIR_PY2 equal to $VTK_INSTALL_DIR_PY3, I will get an error for
the version that was installed second. I cannot follow why this problem
occurs at all, because the installed wrapper binaries (for instance
libvtkRenderingCorePython27D-8.1.dylib and
libvtkRenderingCorePython35D-8.1.dylib), are separate from each other. And
also otool (on Mac) indicates that binaries actually point to the right
parts. Also, I removed vtk otherwise from the system, so there is not a
third version that interferes with the installation...Do you have an idea
where the problem comes from?The error message by the way looks like this
for me:Many thanks for any hints on this!