[vtkusers] Offscreen rendering problems on headless Ubuntu

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Jan 8 08:56:27 EST 2018

Yes, Andy made a change in VTK master recently (last week?) that I think
may fix the issue. Hopefully :-)

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Sophonet <vtk12af6bc42 at kant.sophonet.de>
wrote:

> For the files: This seemed to do the trick with the :
>
> https://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2017-November/035592.html
>
> Even though print(rw.ReportCapabilities()) did not reveal any extensions,
> rendering now works... hope that this gets fixed some time.
>
> Thanks,
>
>      Sophonet
>

> On 2018-01-05 15:42, Sophonet wrote:
>
>> One more update:
>>
>> First of all some correction: glxinfo of course shows the X rendering
>> capabilities, not the OSMesa ones, so glxinfo is not the tool of
>> choice.
>>
>> Then: It seems that Ubuntu's mesa (16.04 update) does not ship with
>> llvmpipe drivers for OSMesa, so I have built OSMesa myself, without X,
>> based on Utkarsh's hints at
>> https://blog.kitware.com/messing-with-mesa-for-paraview-5-0vtk-7-0/.
>>
>> However, it seems that no OpenGL extensions are available (see output
>> below).
>>
>> Any hint how mesa needs to be compiled / what runtime variables need
>> to be set in order to support OpenGL extensions in OSMesa?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>      Sophonet
>>

>> Debug output:
>> In [1]: import vtk
>> In [2]: rw = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()
>> In [3]: rw.SetOffScreenRendering(1)
>> In [4]: rw.Render()
>> ERROR: In
>> /home/CODE1/dep14473/SW/source/VTK-8.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL2/
>> vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>> line 797
>> vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow (0x2ebb060): GL version 2.1 with the
>> gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is
>> required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your
>> OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version
>> 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.
>>
>> In [5]: print(rw.ReportCapabilities())
>> OpenGL vendor string:  VMware, Inc.
>> OpenGL renderer string:  llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits)
>> OpenGL version string:  3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.1
>> OpenGL extensions:
>>
>> ---- (No OpenGL extensions are reported)
>>

>> On 2018-01-04 14:35, Sophonet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list, happy new year!
>>>
>>> I have compiled VTK 8.1.0 on a headless Ubuntu 16.04 with OSMesa
>>> support (flags: -D VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND="OpenGL2" -D
>>> VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=True).
>>>
>>> Using python (for example), I see an error about an unsupported OpenGL
>>> version (see below). However, Ubuntu comes with mesa 17.2.4 (which
>>> should be recent enough). Moreover, glxinfo shows "OpenGL core profile
>>> version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4.
>>>
>>> Any clues what went wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>       Sophonet
>>>

>>> In [1]: import vtk
>>> In [2]: rw = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()
>>> In [3]: rw.SetOffScreenRendering(1)
>>> In [4]: rw.Render()
>>> ERROR: In
> [...]

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.