[vtkusers] Offscreen rendering problems on headless Ubuntu

Sophonet vtk12af6bc42 at kant.sophonet.de
Fri Jan 5 09:42:39 EST 2018

One more update:

First of all some correction: glxinfo of course shows the X rendering
capabilities, not the OSMesa ones, so glxinfo is not the tool of choice.

Then: It seems that Ubuntu's mesa (16.04 update) does not ship with
llvmpipe drivers for OSMesa, so I have built OSMesa myself, without X,
based on Utkarsh's hints at
https://blog.kitware.com/messing-with-mesa-for-paraview-5-0vtk-7-0/.

However, it seems that no OpenGL extensions are available (see output
below).

Any hint how mesa needs to be compiled / what runtime variables need to
be set in order to support OpenGL extensions in OSMesa?

Thanks,

      Sophonet

Debug output:
In [1]: import vtk
In [2]: rw = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()
In [3]: rw.SetOffScreenRendering(1)
In [4]: rw.Render()
ERROR: In
/home/CODE1/dep14473/SW/source/VTK-8.1.0/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 797
vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow (0x2ebb060): GL version 2.1 with the gpu_shader4
extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is required for
the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL driver. If
you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later and
make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

In [5]: print(rw.ReportCapabilities())
OpenGL vendor string:  VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string:  llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string:  3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.3.1
OpenGL extensions:

---- (No OpenGL extensions are reported)