[vtkusers] Llvmpipe threads collapses the system when capturing a screenshot

Patricio Palma C. patriciop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 18:07:53 EST 2018

Hi All

   I’m using vtkWindowToImageFilter to export screenshots of a
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow. It works, but every time a screenshot is created,
15 new llvmpipe threads are spawned and they are not finalized by the app.
I noticed this because after a while the number of threads reached the
limit (about 5500) and no more threads can be spawned.

This application is running linux RH 6.6 / VTK 7.1 / mesa 17.0.6

Source code extract:

vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer> osRenderer =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow> renWin =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow>::New();

renWin->SetOffScreenRendering(true);

renWin->AddRenderer(osRenderer);

renWin->SetSize(pictureSize.width(), pictureSize.height());

// copyActors from QVTKWidget2

vtkSmartPointer<vtkWindowToImageFilter> filter =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkWindowToImageFilter>::New();

filter->SetInput(renWin);

filter->SetInputBufferTypeToRGB();

filter->SetMagnification(1);

filter->Update();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData> image = filter->GetOutput();

…

(continue using image)

At this moment I’m using an empty RenderWindow, I thought actors could have
a problem so I commented that out but the problem persists.

After some testing I’ve noticed that the problem arise after calling
filter->Update(). If this line is commented, no picture is generated but
the threads are finalized.

Any ideas on how can I track this issue or where should I continue looking
for an issue in my code?

Regards

Patricio
--