[vtkusers] vtkMultiVolume and shading

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Mon Apr 23 21:15:17 EDT 2018

Hi Csaba,

I don’t believe there is a technical limitation. It was merely that the
original effort for adding multiple overlapping volumes support was focused
on selected features. I am not aware of current efforts/funding to add
support for additional features like shading, different blend modes, etc.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM Csaba Pinter <csaba.pinter at queensu.ca>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’m experimenting with using vtkMultiVolume to add proper multi-volume
> rendering support into 3D Slicer. My main question is the reason behind
> this actor not supporting shading, as apparent when used, but also
> mentioned in the corresponding test:
>

> https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Rendering/Volume/Testing/Cxx/TestGPURayCastMultiVolumeOverlapping.cxx#L229
>
> Is this a technical limitation that would be very hard to overcome, or is
> it something simpler? I’m asking this because for this actor to be really
> used for volume rendering, shading would be necessary.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Csaba

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​