[vtkusers] General Question to VTK in VR

Jamil Goettlich jamil.goettlich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:46:00 EDT 2018

Hello VTK Users,

I have some general questions to the current state of VR in VTK. Please let
me know if this is not the right place to ask questions about that.
According to what I have read (among others "Enhancements to VTK enabling
scientific visualization in immersive environments") there are two
favourized ways of bringing VTK into VR:
- VR-Toolkit embedding --> Using VTK with the OpenVR API (HMDs)
- OpenGL context sharing (VTK Rendering External) --> Using existing
contexts from other (VR-)Toolkits (Multiple devices)

Until now I have only seen single frames being displayed in VR (in VTK as
well as in Paraview), not unsteady state (e.g. in ParaView 5.3, OpenVR
version, I cannot press the play button and send the content to OpenVR, I
can only see one frame on the HMD).
>From what I have seen so far, the VR-Plugin of ParaView does not use any of
the two methods. They are using the library VRPN for interacting but all
the rest is done within ParaView.

My questions are the following:
- Is there anybody who has displayed unsteady states with VTK in VR and if
so what method was used and how was that done?
- Is there any paper or detailled documentation to the OpenGL context
sharing method? I did not find alot to that except from the testing example
"TestGLUTRenderWindow.cxx" which I was not able to build properly until
now. Also, if anyone has experience using FreeVR with VTK OpenGL context
sharing method, I would be very interested in that too.

I hope my questions are appropriate (and not too widespread) and I would be
very happy to be pointed to some current sources, especially concerning
unsteady state simulations with VTK in VR. I would be very happy for anyone
to share their own experiences or some current papers to that topic.

Thanks alot,

Jamil