[vtkusers] VTK 8.1.0 vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL, vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL2,

Brian Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:53:48 EDT 2018

Ok as stated here
https://blog.kitware.com/paraview-5-0-0-available-for-download/

and search  VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND which yields the sentence:

"When building from source, simply set the VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND CMake
variable to OpenGL2 to use this new rendering engine."

any thoughts on adding this to

https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Building/Windows

which looks to be circa VS 2008

or more generally to:

https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Building

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 1:55 PM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
wrote:

> 2>  CMake Error at Rendering/OpenGL/CMakeLists.txt:3 (message):
> 2>    vtkRenderingOpenGL cannot be built with vtkRenderingOpenGL2, please
> disable
> 2>    one of them.
>
> To choose the legacy backend:
> VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND:STRING=OpenGL
>
> To choose the modern backend:
> VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND:STRING=OpenGL2
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> Principal Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Brian Davis <bitminer at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Win 10 build I now get:
>>
>> 2>  CMake Error at Rendering/OpenGL/CMakeLists.txt:3 (message):
>> 2>    vtkRenderingOpenGL cannot be built with vtkRenderingOpenGL2, please
>> disable
>> 2>    one of them.
>>
>> When building VTK this did work
>>
>> -DModule_vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL=ON
>>
>> I mean (worked) the rendering was still horrid slow, but it built and ran.
>>
>> https://blog.kitware.com/volume-rendering-improvements-in-vtk/
>>
>> states to use:
>>
>> -DModule_vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGLNew=ON,
>>
>> though that is circa 2014
>>
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&snippets=&
>> scope=&search=vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL&project_id=13
>>
>> might lead me to believe if I look at the android section:
>>
>>   -DModule_vtkTestingCore:BOOL=ON
>>   -DModule_vtkTestingRendering:BOOL=ON
>>   -DModule_vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL2:BOOL=ON
>>

>> Though I am not compiling for android or iOS.
>>
>> Is there a way to build the "New" (well post OpenGL fixed pipeline)
>> version in version 8.0.1?

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Brian J. Davis