[vtkusers] Remeshing using Octree Filter

vincentrivola vincentrivola at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 09:01:35 EDT 2017

Hi again,

I don't have much time for the wiki right now since it is a very busy
period.
But basically here is the pipeline (as a side note I use the java wrapper
for all these applications):
- create an octree mesh around your surface. For this I use my own octree
generator not vtkHyperOctree. If someone know how to get it directly in vtk
I'm interested.

- once I get my octree grid as a vtkUnstructuredGrid I loop over all the
points of the mesh and use a vtkImplicitPolyDataDistance filter initialized
with my original surface to get the distance between each point of the
unstructured grid and the vtkPolyData.

- then I can use this distance in a vtkContourFilter to get the iso-surface
of distance=0.

- eventually use a vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter on the output of vtkContourFilter
to smooth a bit the results.

That's it! pretty simple actually.