[vtkusers] Crust Algorithm in VTK?

Paul Korir pkorir at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 09:23:51 EDT 2017

Dear All,

I recently came across the crust algorithm for computing a surface along
a set of points. It seems to be a relatively powerful algorithm but is
not implemented in VTK. VTK has the VTKRuledSurfaceFilter but this has
major limitations in various topologies. The alternative is to use some
plugins implemented for 3D Slicer but it seems like overkill to have to
install 3D Slicer plus an additional plugin just to solve this problem.
Obviously the better option would to implement the plugin functionality
directly into VTK but obviously I cannot dictate someone's development
schedule.

My question is: is there something wrong with the crust algorithm that
has prevented its implementation in VTK? Are there any plans for this?
Is there anything better that can then be included.

Thanks for shedding light on this most important of problems.

--
Paul K. Korir, PhD
Scientific Programmer