[vtkusers] Dynamically Add and Render Points using vtkPolyData

Aron Helser aron.helser at kitware.com
Thu Oct 26 08:31:09 EDT 2017

Hi Andrew -
One potentially easy thing is to use the newest VTK release - performance
often improves between releases.
I see one noob mistake :) ImmediateModeRenderingOn() doesn't do anything
with current VTK - everything is shader-based.

I can see that you are dynamically changing the size of the entire dataset,
to add a small number (~360) of points. I would definitely consider
dividing the points up into batches, so that you are adding points to a
much smaller set. I mean several vtkPoints() and vtkCellArray() instead of
one.

I believe you might also be able to pre-allocate the expected size of the
set, but I'm not sure how to do that?

Regards,
Aron