[vtkusers] DICOM reader and setting bit depth

normanius juch at zhaw.ch
Thu Oct 12 09:38:52 EDT 2017

Hi

I have a problem when reading a DICOM image using vtkDICOMImageReader.

Looking at the result, I get the impression that the depth information is
not applied properly. I'm pretty sure that problem lies on my side. But
could you help me what I do wrong?

Judging from the DICOM header, my DICOM has a signed short depth.
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t341102/Screen_Shot_2017-10-12_at_15.png>

A slices looks like this in OsiriX:
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t341102/slice-osirix.jpg>

However, if I open the DICOM image with vtkDICOMImageReader, my result looks
different. Indeed, values lower than 0 and larger than 255 are shown either
black or white, which indicates that the bit depth is cropped beyond the
8bit range.

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t341102/Screen_Shot_2017-10-12_at_15.png>

Here the code I used for reading:

It of course could be that the rendering could be set up wrong as well. I
used the  ReadDICOMSeries
<https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/ReadDICOMSeries>   example
without further modifications.

Help would be appreciated.