[vtkusers] Performance comparison between VTk7.0.0 and VTK8.0.1

Marcelo Duarte Trevisani marceloduartetrevisani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:00:00 EDT 2017

Do you already have a benchmark code to test the differences of performance
between this two versions?

Because I'm thinking to migrate a software to vtk8 + vtkm + opengl2 + tbb
or openmp, but I have to show to my colleagues the advantages regarding the
performance of this new version compiled with these flags, to see if will
be prioritize or not.

I will try to do what you said as well. Thanks.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:46 AM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
wrote:

> 1000 points isn't challenging enough. Try 1 million.
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> Principal Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=21+Corporate+Drive+Clifton+Park,+NY+12065&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Clifton Park, NY 12065
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=21+Corporate+Drive+Clifton+Park,+NY+12065&entry=gmail&source=g>
> -8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:34 AM, Marcelo Duarte Trevisani <
> marceloduartetrevisani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I was doing a performance comparison between the VTK 7.0.0 with OpenGL1
>> and SMP as sequential against VTK 8.0.1 with VTKm, OpenGL2 and SMP with
>> OpenMP but I saw no difference of the rendering process at all. I think
>> it's a bit strange, I read some articles in Kitware about the vantages to
>> use VTKm and OpenGL2 but in my simple test there is no difference. Does
>> anyone know what it's happening? Or Do I need to activate or do something
>> different ?
>>
>> Attached on this e-mail is the code which I used.
>>
>> In terms of performance what are the vantages in VTK 8.0.1 when compared
>> to VTK 7.0.0?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Marcelo Duarte Trevisani
>>
>> "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Marcelo Duarte Trevisani
Engenheiro de Controle e Automação
pela Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais - (UFMG)

Certificate Professional Scrum Master by Scrum.org