[vtkusers] ANN: vtk.js, an Open-Source Toolkit for SciVis on the Web

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Wed Nov 29 15:30:44 EST 2017

Sorry, for being light on my initial explanations. I've been playing too
long with all those technologies... ;-)

ArcticViewer is just a viewer of static data.
The Python script is to actually process the data and generate a data
structure that would be easy to serve to a web page.
So it is just pre-processing to generate new files that should be a subset
of the original data.

Then once you load the (newly generated) data in ArcticViewer, you can edit
the lookup table, play the time animation, change the array to color by and
so on...

But it could also be fairly easy to create an animation with vtk.js just by
dealing with the switch of input data on your own in plain JavaScript.
I was just mentioning ArcticViewer as you can easily try it out.

If you want the web browser to drive a VTK/Python backend, you can use
ParaViewWeb for that and Visualizer is a good example of it.
You can learn more about it here:
https://kitware.github.io/paraviewweb/docs/

Hope that clarify some of your questions...

Seb

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Jan Hardenbergh <hardenbergh at terarecon.com