[vtkusers] watershed on surface meshs

Grothausmann, Roman Dr. grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
Fri Nov 24 06:26:38 EST 2017

Dear mailing list members,

I need to separate a mesh at "curved corners" (see attached PNG, using the
colored labels from a facet analysis do not suffice but go in the right
direction). So my current thought is to run vtkCurvature to get a Gaussian
curvature value per point/vertex and then try to separate regions of positive
values around local maxima. Just thresholding the result of vtkCurvature does
not fully separate each local max from neighboring ones, but to my understanding
a surface watershed would. I found two publications by Mangan and Whitaker on this:

Partitioning 3D surface meshes using watershed:
http://teacher.en.rmutt.ac.th/ktw/Resources/Full%20paper%20PDF/Partitioning%203D%20surface%20meshes%20using%20watershed%20segmentation.pdf

Surface Segmentation Using Morphological Watersheds:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjD0by1lafWAhVUGsAKHZ2MAbUQFgg_MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.464.2788%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&usg=AFQjCNGX-p9-ElQFcpsUyBRO0pCjBKCmNg

Does anybody know about an implementation for this in VTK/ITK or another
open-source library? If not, would it be possible to transfer the ITK watershed
implementation for voxel data to mesh data, e.g. to crate a VTKmorphWatershedFilter?

Thanks for any help or hints.
Roman

--
Dr. Roman Grothausmann

Tomographie und Digitale Bildverarbeitung
Tomography and Digital Image Analysis

Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Institut für Funktionelle und Angewandte Anatomie
OE 4120, Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1, 30625 Hannover, Deutschland

Tel. +49 511 532-2900
grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
http://www.mh-hannover.de/anatomie.html